Friday, June 20, 2014

Product Obsession: Homespun Apothecary

Every once in a while you encounter someone that not only leaves a positive mark on your life, but who actually helps to make a difference in your quality of life as well.

For me, this person is Jennifer Kegley, creator and owner of Homespun Apothecary, an online shop that not only carries beautiful face and body care products, but homemade pain relief products as well.

Products generously sent for review

Jennifer, like myself, has suffered with degenerative disc disease and interstitial cystitis. Unlike me, however, she has dealt with an array of other debilitating issues that left her permanently disabled. Not finding any relief from conventional methods, she changed her diet and began making her own natural personal care products.

Though not completely cured of all her ailments, her products have helped her to manage her conditions to the point where she no longer needs certain medications! 

You can imagine how immensely honored I was when she contacted me and asked if I would like to try some of these healing products to see if I would benefit as much as she had.

Here is what she sent me:




1) You Glow Girl Cleansing Oil - I have been a fan of oil cleansers for a while now and this one is my new favorite for sure! Full of amazing skin loving ingredients, such as camellia, grapeseed, avocado and jojoba oils, this cleanser not only hydrates and nourishes, but removes every trace of make up, including stubborn mascara. Since I started using this cleansing oil, I've noticed a reduction in new blemishes, less redness, increased hydration as well as overall smoothness.

Price -  $20 for 2oz, $39 for 4oz
Ingredients - Camellia Sinensis (Camellia) oil, Vitis vinifera (Grapeseed) oil, Ricinu Communis (Castor) oil, *Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) oil, Persea americana (Avocado) oil, Essential oils, Tocopherol (Vitamine E), Rosemary Oleoresin






2) Oh My Aching Body Balm - I can't tell you how many times I have uttered the words "oh my aching body" over the last several years. Chronic back pain is never a picnic, and trying to find products that not only offer genuine relief, but that are also not loaded with crap has been a challenge for me. Thankfully, this product covers both. The superstar ingredient in this wonderful balm is capsaicin from cayenne pepper extract. Throw in some other oils known for alleviating pain and inflammation and you have yourself one amazing anti-pain hero. I've honestly been able to sleep much more comfortably since using this, as opposed to waking up constantly because my back is hurting. I also love that this smells minty as opposed to medicinal like over the counter brands do. I definitely see myself entering into a long term relationship with this product! :-)

Price - $15 for 2oz, $29 for 4oz
Ingredients - Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut Oil), Elaeis guineensis (Palm Kernel Oil), Capsaicin (cayenne pepper extract), Olea europaea (Olive Oil), Cera alba (Beeswax), a proprietary blend of essential oils, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Oleoresin Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary Oleoresin).



The heat here has turned this into more of an oil than a balm!

3) Comfort and Joy Moisturizer - I have been using this moisturizer before bed on my hands, feet, and especially the chest area (I do an ayurvedic breast massage at night) and I not only love the light, silky feel of it, but the scent is also quite unique - like citrus and mint with some floral notes tossed in the mix. In the morning, I've been using it as a full body moisturizer and I adore how soft it makes my skin. All in all, I am very impressed with this product.

Price - $8 for 2oz, $15 for 4oz
Ingredients - Olea europaea (Olive Oil), Cocos Nucifera (Virgin Coconut Oil), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba), Cera Alba (Besswax), Proprietary essential oil blend, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract (PhytoCide Elderberry OS), Rosemary Oleoresin


I was also sent two samples of their beautiful soaps, and though I have not yet gotten around to using them (shame on me, I know!), the scent alone is enough to make me fall in love. The ingredients are also divine and the texture of the soaps tells me that these will not dry out my skin, but rather will hydrate. I will be including these in a separate post in the future for sure! 

Thank you so much, Jennifer, for creating these extraordinary and healing products. I am so grateful to have had the chance to try them and so is my back! :-)


*Products were sent to me for review, however, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

Have you ever tried anything from Homespun Apothecary? Leave me a comment below and tell me what you think!

Peace & Love,
~Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment